Coffs Harbour Sustainable Schools program aims to raise environmental awareness amongst students and teachers at pre-schools and child care centres, as well as primary and high school in the Coffs Harbour Local Government Area. The program includes the Sustainable Schools Network and grants program - MAD Green Grants.
MAD Green Grants
Applications for the 2021 MAD Green Grants grant program are now CLOSED.
For information about this program, please contact the Sustainable Living Program Officer:
Phone: (02) 6648 4643
About MAD Green Grants
The annual grants program provides financial support to Coffs Harbour schools, pre-schools and early learning centres to undertake projects that make a difference to their local environment and community.
Successful projects will:
- Actively engage young people in behaviour change projects in their schools, preschools or centres
- Build knowledge, practices and awareness about how to value and protect the local environment with learners, colleagues and the school/centre community.
This project meets a number of critical environmental needs in our LGA such as
- Mitigating against or adapting to climate change
- Protecting and restoring the biodiversity of Coffs Harbour
- Reducing storm water pollution, thus protecting our waterways and beaches
- Managing our water resources
- Reducing waste to landfill by improving and increasing recycling and composting.
MAD Green Grants provides added value by building the capacity of the community through, students, teachers, parents and school committees such as Parents and Friends, Parents and Citizens, and School Environment committees.
In 2019, 14 schools received grants totalling over $21,000. The projects they undertook included creating native bush tucker gardens, school wide recycling programs and plastics pollution education, establishing native bee hives and creating habitat for native wildlife.
Sustainable Schools Network
The Sustainable Schools Network (SSN) is for all teachers, educators and parents in Coffs Harbour who want to learn and share projects and opportunities for creative and practical environmental activities in their schools, centres and communities.
Facilitated by Coffs Harbour City Council, the network meets once each term to share ideas, learn something new and take a look at the great things happening in local schools, preschools and childcare centres. Importantly it's fun, friendly and there is always a cuppa and refreshments.
Download a copy of the Sustainable Schools Fact Sheet
If you would like to be added to the Sustainable Schools list to be notified of upcoming meetings please contact the Sustainable Living Program Officer:
Phone: (02) 6648 4643