Coffs Harbour Sustainable Schools program is about raising environmental awareness amongst students and teachers at pre-school, childcare, primary and high school in the Coffs Harbour Local Government Area (LGA).
The program includes the MAD Green Grants program and the Sustainable Schools Network.
Mad Green Grants
MAD Green Grants Applications for the 2021 MAD Green Grants grant program are now CLOSED.
The annual grants program provides financial support to Coffs Harbour schools, pre-schools and early learning centres to undertake projects that make a difference to their local environment and community.
Successful projects will:
- Actively engage young people in behaviour change projects in their schools, preschools or centres
- Build knowledge, practices and awareness about how to value and protect the local environment with learners, colleagues and the school/centre community.
This project meets a number of critical environmental needs in our LGA such as:
- Mitigating against or adapting to climate change
- Protecting and restoring the biodiversity of Coffs Harbour
- Reducing storm water pollution, thus protecting our waterways and beaches
- Managing our water resources
- Reducing waste to landfill by improving and increasing recycling and composting.
MAD Green Grants provides added value by building the capacity of the community through, students, teachers, parents and school committees such as Parents and Friends, Parents and Citizens, and School Environment committees.
In 2019, 14 schools received grants totaling over $21,000.
The projects they undertook included creating native bush tucker gardens, school-wide recycling programs and plastics pollution education, establishing native bee hives and creating habitat for native wildlife.
Sustainable Schools Network
The Sustainable Schools Network (SSN) is for all teachers, educators and parents in Coffs Harbour who want to learn and share projects and opportunities for creative and practical environmental activities in their schools, centres and communities.
Facilitated by Coffs Harbour City Council, the network meets once each term to share ideas, learn something new and take a look at the great things happening in local schools, preschools and childcare centres.
Importantly it's fun, friendly and there is always a cuppa and refreshments.
To be notified of upcoming meetings or to find out more about the Mad Grants program, please contact:
Sustainable Living Program Officer
Phone: 02 6648 4643.