Short term rental accommodation

Short Term Rental Accommodation (STRA) is a dwelling used to provide accommodation on a commercial basis for a temporary or short-term period. The host either lives on the premises (hosted), or not (non-hosted).

The activity is most commonly associated with booking platforms such as 'Airbnb' and 'Stayz' and can also include traditional holiday rentals through property managers.

The NSW Government has implemented new rules for STRA, which will apply from 1 November 2021.

For more information see the NSW Planning, Industry and Environment's website page on Short Term Rental Accommodation

Council's role

Council is not currently taking any action for STRA, unless unauthorised building works have been undertaken on the house or apartment.

Council does sometimes receive complaints from neighbours adjacent to houses and apartments which have been let out to tourists and visitors for use as STRA.

Sometimes these premises do not comply with the NSW Government's Code of Conduct for minimum standards of behaviour.

Read more about the NSW Government's Code of Conduct and making complaints 

Council has set up a register to capture issues raised by the community in relation to STRA.

Please contact Council using the details on this page if you are experiencing issues.  This will help us identify whether any significant conflicts are occurring in specific areas.