Sewage services

Taking used water from your property for treatment

Council uses the natural force of gravity to collect sewage and deliver it via pipes called "mains" to a Water Reclamation Plant for treatment.

When sewage in a main reaches the bottom of a hill, pumps in strategic places are used to get the sewage moving to a Water Reclamation Plant.

Coramba and Nana Glen villages do not have reticulated sewerage systems. Each property in these villages deals with their own individual sewage through onsite wastewater management strategies, such as septic tanks or Biocycle systems. See on-site sewage management systems

At home

Most homes will be connected to the Council sewer system by a pipe called a house drain.  It's a good idea to look after your sewer because if you keep it in good working order it will save you money.  

See sewer service problems

If your home is not connected to Council's reticulated sewerage system (or town sewer), then you are likely to dispose of your wastewater via an on-site sewage management system (e.g. septic system, pump-out system, composting toilet or treatment systems).

See on-site sewage management systems 

At your place of work

Your workplace is also connected to the Council sewer system by a pipe with an inspection opening.

See protecting your inspection opening

Water used for personal hygiene at work, for example washing hands or flushing the toilet, is classified as "Domestic" sewage and does not pose an increased impact on Council wastewater treatment plants.

All other sewage from your workplace, such as manufacturing, restaurant and vehicle washing wastewater, is termed liquid trade waste.

Your workplace needs approval from Council to discharge any of this type of sewage into the system.

See how to apply for liquid trade waste approval 

Private sewer pump stations

Coffs Harbour City Council has developed a private sewer pump station policy.

It details the responsibilities of the developer and individual property owners for construction, maintenance and operation of associated infrastructure. It provides a basic guide to Council’s expectations from such systems.

Sewer service problems

Find out what to do if you have sewage odours, blockages or leaks