Report a dog attack
If you have been attacked or are concerned about the aggressive behaviour of a dog in your neighbourhood you should report it to us using the contact details on this page. Pease include the following information:
- Location and time of the incident
- Description of the dog involved
- Description of the incident which took place.
- Dog owners details if possible or where the dog comes from
- If an attack has occurred, then details of the attack e.g. was anyone or any animal injured, how serious was the injury, did they need hospitalisation etc.
- Contact details of the person reporting this incident.
In NSW dogs can be declared by councils or courts as being 'menacing' or 'dangerous' or as being a 'restricted breed'. Owners of these 'declared' dogs have to abide by regulations about safely controlling and enclosing their dog.
If owners fail to comply with these requirements they can be fined. Depending on the circumstances, these offences may also result in the seizure and destruction of a dog.
Find out the definitions of each of the types of dogs below and the owners requirements for keeping them.