Dogs in public places are generally required to be on a leash and under the effective control of a competent person.
Animals must be kept under direct supervision and control, even when they are off their leash in leash-free areas.
Where dogs are prohibited
- Children's play apparatus
- Playing fields (where signposted)
- School grounds
- Public food preparation areas
- Public bathing areas (where signposted)
- Shopping areas (where signposted)
- Wildlife protection areas
Owners who fail to keep their dogs leashed in public places (leash-free areas excepted) or take their dogs into prohibited places will be issued on-the-spot fines up to $880.
Picking up after your pet
Dog waste must be picked up in public areas. Animal faeces poses a potential threat to the community as well as an environmental hazard. Failure to pick up after your pet can also attract an on-the-spot fine of $275.
Biodegradable dog waste bags are now available for free at dispensers located at the following beaches and parks in Coffs Harbour.
- Arrawarra Beach
- Mullawarra Beach
- Mullaway Beach
- Darkum Beach (via Darkum Headland Rd)
- Hearns Lake Beach (main access point at Hearns Lake)
- Emerald Beach (near leash-free area north of Fiddamans Creek)
- Moonee Beach
- Sapphire Beach
- Korora Bay Beach
- Thompsons Park (on Thompsons Rd)