27 April 2016 Waste Burning Reminder

A community unlike any other

Explore inspiring articles, discover events, connect with locals and learn more about Coffs Harbour City Council.

Swim Between The Flags

Swim Between The Flags

Stay safe at the beach these school holidays by swimming between the red and yellow flags at patrolled beaches...

Read more

Registration of Interest - Water

Council is calling for interested parties to register their interest in obtaining raw water or recycled water for agricultural/irrigation purposes...

Read more
Disaster Revocery

Disaster Recovery

Council is hosting a bushfire recovery meeting on Tuesday, 28 January at 5:30pm in Nana Glen Community Hall...

Read more
View all news

Latest News

Australia Day Nominees 2020

Australia Day 2020

The winners of this year's Australia Day Awards will be revealed on Sunday, 26 Jan at the Botanic Garden at 9am. Meet the Nominees…

Read more
Turtle warning

Nesting Turtles Plea for Care

Plea to public to avoid disturbing turtle nests and rare birds on local beaches by keeping dogs and vehicles away...

Read more
New Beach Patrols

New Beach Patrols for Summer

Jetty Beach will have a trial beach patrol service by Council’s Lifeguards this summer as part of a series of innovations...

Read more
View all news

27 April 2016 Waste Burning Reminder

Residents are being urged to follow the rules over the burning of garden waste now that the annual ban on backyard burning has been lifted.

If you live in a rural area - land zoned RU2 and R5 - you are permitted to burn without Council approval, subject to requirements of the Rural Fires Act and Regulations.  However you are only permitted to burn dry vegetation.  This means that burning any other waste such as tyres, old mattresses, sofas and plastic is prohibited. 

Burning in an area that is not zoned RU2 and R5 needs approval from Council.

A request for approval must be made in writing and must be made at least 21 days before the proposed date of burning.

When you burn, whether in a rural area or following an approval from Council, you must ensure that you take measures to prevent or minimise air pollution, such as considering wind direction, weather conditions and the length of time the vegetation will take to burn.  

Property-owners are responsible for preventing fires escaping from their property, so it is best to seek Rural Fire Service (RFS) advice before you burn.

It is also a legal requirement to provide a minimum of 24 hours notice to your local fire authority (RFS or Fire and Rescue NSW) and all adjoining neighbours before carrying out any burning.  You must also call the RFS at least one hour before lighting the fire on (02) 6653 1097.

Property-owners should be aware that anyone found guilty of burning without approval, or causing air pollution from a burn, can face a fine of $500 per offence for individuals or $1000 for corporations.  In extreme cases, Council may also consider it appropriate to pursue prosecution, resulting in much higher fines.

For more information, check out the Control of Burning section or call Council on 02 6648 4000, Monday to Friday between 08.30 and 10am, to speak to an Environmental Health Officer.