Register Your Pet

A community unlike any other

Explore inspiring articles, discover events, connect with locals and learn more about Coffs Harbour City Council.


Online DAs only from January 1

The NSW Government has mandated that all Development Applications lodged with us must be through the NSW Online Planning Portal from 1 January 2021 ...

Read more
SEnergy Advice Service

Energy Advice Service

Council has partnered with the Australian Energy Foundation to provide you with independent energy advice...

Read more
Disaster Dashboard

Local Emergencies Disaster Dashboard

Council has a Disaster Dashboard to help you prepare for, cope and recover from any local emergency...

Read more
View all news

Latest News

Councillors community and staff members pose inside a community hall

Council Recognised in Major State Awards

Council’s people-centred approach to helping the community recover from the 2019 bushfires and the COVID-19 pandemic saw us reach the finals of the 2021 NSW Local Government Excellence Awards...

Read more
Tradespeople installing solar panels on a roof

Council Powering Ahead with Energy Goals

Switching to electric vehicles using renewable power and expanding our rollout of solar power are among the proposals that will help us reach our renewable energy and emissions reductions goals for 2030...

Read more
Art installation on a wall

STILL: National Still Life Award 2021 Finalists Announced

Coffs Harbour Regional Gallery has unveiled its shortlist of finalists from a record number of entries by artists across Australia, all vying for the $30,000 prize, Still: National Still Life Award 2021...

Read more
Visit Coffs Newsroom

Register Your Pet

Microchipping can be done by your local vet and is a safe way of ensuring that your pet will be returned to you if it is found wandering or stray. All cats and dogs (other than exempt) must be microchipped by 12 weeks of age, or before being sold or given away.

Microchipping and lifetime registration applies to all cats and dogs which are born, or who change owners, after 1 July 1999. From this date your kitten or dog (but not your already owned cat) must be microchipped and registered. This form of registration is a one off payment and covers the entire life of the animal.

All dogs and cats need to be lifetime registered when 6 months old or over. All dogs and cats covered by the Companion Animal Act 1998 also need to be microchipped.

To register your dog or cat just call into Council's offices and bring with you your animal's certificate of identification, which you would have received when your pet was microchipped. You also need to bring with you proof of desexing, if this applies to your animal, and any concession card should you be seeking a pensioner rate. Pensioner rates only apply to desexed animals.

Register your pet online with NSW Pet Registry

You now have online access to the NSW Pet Registry to register your pet, update your contact details, report your pet missing, transfer ownership and pay most lifetime registration fees from your computer or mobile device. For more information go to the NSW Pet Registry website, including information on how to register.

Annual permits are now required for owners of non-desexed cats, restricted dog breeds, and dogs declared to be dangerous. Please refer to the Annual Permits section for more information.

  • It's a requirement in NSW for all cats and dogs to be microchipped and placed on the NSW Pet Registry by the time they reach 12 weeks of age, or prior to sale, whichever comes first.
  • The state-wide Register is an online database of microchips linked to owners' details. This means you can be contacted if your missing pet is found.
  • Your privacy is strictly protected as only authorised people other than yourself can access the Registry, which is not linked to any other database.

You can still choose to register or update your pet's details through council; just visit your nearest council office and complete the necessary forms.

An assistance animal in NSW is a dog or other companion animal that is either:

  1. Accredited under a law of a State or Territory that provides for the accreditation of animals trained to assist a person with a disability to alleviate the effect of that disability; OR

  2. Accredited by an animal training organisation prescribed by the Commonwealth; OR

  3. Trained to assist a person with a disability to alleviate the effect of that disability, and, to meet standards of hygiene and behaviour appropriate for an animal in a public place.

What is a disability?

Disability covers a wide range of physical and psychological conditions and includes:

  • total or partial loss of the bodily or mental functions;
  • total or partial loss of a part of the body;
  • the presence in the body of organisms causing disease or illness;
  • the presence in the body of organisms capable of causing disease or illness;
  • the malfunction, malformation or disfigurement of a part of the person’s body;
  • a disorder or malfunction that results in the person learning differently; OR
  • a disorder, illness or disease that affects a person’s thought processes, perception of reality, emotions or judgment or that results in disturbed behaviour.

What proof is required?

Councils are entitled to request reasonable proof that your animal is a genuine assistance animal. This means evidence of the following:

  • that you have a disability; (a letter from your doctor);
  • that your animal has been trained to alleviate the effect of the disability; (letter from a recognised dog trainer certifying the training) and;
  • that your animal is trained to meet standards of hygiene and behaviour appropriate for an animal in a public place. (see the public access test standards. Letter from a recognised dog trainer certifying the dog meets this standard.)

Importantly, a person with a disability has the right to train their own assistance animal so long as he or she can provide proof that that training means the animal meets the definition of an assistance animal.

Registration as an assistance animal under the Companion Animals Act 1998 does not necessarily provide proof the animal is an assistance animal for the purposes of entering a public place or public transport.

What does the owner of an assistance animal need to do?

Like all other companion animals, assistance animals need to be micro-chipped and registered in NSW. However, no fee is charged for registering an assistance animal if the animal is not already registered.

Registration lasts for the life of each animal. If you change address or your animal goes missing or dies, please notify council.

It is also strongly recommended that assistance animals are vaccinated and de sexed. Do not train a restricted or dangerous dog as an assistance animal.

If you and your animal satisfy the necessary requirements please complete the application for the registration of assistance companion animals form and attached copies of the necessary evidence: doctors letter, statement on how the animal assists with your condition and a statement from a recognised dog trainer (see section on what proof is required above).

The State Government is changing the rules from July 1, 2019 that will affect the buying, selling or giving away of a cat or dog. Any advertisements will need to include either the microchip number, a breeder identification number or a rehoming organisation number. You can find out more about the changes here.

Prospective buyers can access important information about the animal and the breeder on the Pet Registry website.

To see a full list of fees and charges for registering your pet head to the Office of Local Government website. For more information contact Council's Customer Service on 02 6648 4000.

The NSW Government has created a learning tool to assist children in grade levels K-2 in responsible pet ownership and dog safety. Victor and Victoria's Pet Town