The Coffs Harbour region enjoys an active and diverse arts and cultural life with galleries, creative workshop spaces, public art and cultural festivals and events. Coffs Harbour City Council is committed to the vitality of this cultural life and appreciates how it contributes to social health and economic success.
The Coffs Coast has been identified as a Creative Industries hotspot by the ARC Linkage Project due to the diverse and innovative sector operating in the region. The Coffs Coast Creative Industries Network is an association of professionals and platform for the many quality artists and creative practitioners in the region to share and connect.
Developing the capacity and furthering the depth of our cultural life enhances the attractiveness of Coffs Harbour as both a place to visit and to live in.
In February 2017, the Coffs Harbour City Council adopted a new Cultural Policy with a vision of:
A vibrant and creative Coffs lifestyle enriched by its natural beauty, diverse people and capacity for innovation.
The Creative Coffs - Cultural Strategic Plan 2017-2022 outlines what is needed to implement the Policy's vision and goals.
The goals of the Policy and Plan are to:
1. Engage our community and visitors in the cultural life of the area
2. Create and maintain vibrant cultural and public spaces
3. Understand and celebrate our Aboriginal and diverse cultural heritage
4. Value and support our creative industries; and
5. Encourage connections, collaboration and partnerships.
Coffs Harbour City Council offers an Arts and Cultural Development grant program supporting new and exciting projects and initiatives that reflect the goals of Council's Cultural Policy and the Creative Cultural Strategic Plan 2017-2022 which forms the foundation of the selection criteria.
The Cultural Reference Group (CRG) consisting of eight community representatives and one CHCC Councillor, meets quarterly to:
- Provide advice and feedback on the development of the Cultural Strategic Plan;
- Advocate on behalf of the community; and
- Advise on the planning for community engagement activities.