Section 68 Approvals

Some works require their own approvals in addition to a development consent, such as a connection to Council's water supply or sewer system.

The types of activities that require separate Council approval are listed under Section 68 of the Local Government Act.


Water supply, sewerage and stormwater drainage work

This includes:

  • Carrying out water supply work.
  • Drawing water from a council water supply or a standpipe or selling water so drawn. You can apply to hire a standpipe from council.
  • Installing, altering, disconnecting or removing a meter connected to a service pipe.
  • Carrying out sewerage work.
  • Carrying out stormwater drainage work.
  • Connecting a private drain or sewer with a public drain or sewer under the control of a council or with a drain or sewer which connects with such a public drain or sewer.
More information is available on our for plumbers page.

Management of waste

This includes:

Public roads

This includes:

  • Operating a public car park.
  • Operating a caravan park or camping ground.
  • Installing a domestic oil or solid fuel heating appliance, other than a portable appliance.
  • Installing or operating amusement devices (within the meaning of the Construction Safety Act 1912).
  • Installing or operating amusement devices prescribed by the regulations under the Local Government Act 1993.
  • Operating an undertaker's business.
  • Operating a mortuary.
  • Carrying out an activity prescribed by the regulations under the Local Government Act 1993.