Most development proposals,
exempt and complying development, require approval from Council before they can proceed. This is known as development consent.
To obtain development consent you need to lodge a development application with Council.
The NSW Government's Development Application Guide explains the process and assists you in preparing and lodging a Development Application with Council.
Before submitting a development application, you should check whether the development is feasible by referring to:
Below is a table illustrating the
Development Application Process.
- Read the notes for completing a development application.
- If necessary, discuss your proposal with the development planner or building surveyor; arrange a meeting with the Technical Liaison Committee if appropriate.
Preparation and Lodgement of Application and Initial Administration
- Complete all required
- Include owners consent and all required fees.
- Ensure all required information is included e.g. Statement of Effects and one set of plans.
- See the information sheet for completing a development application.
- Lodge the form with Council at our Customer Service Centre, or by mail.
- Council reviews the information provided, advises you of any additional information required.
Referrals and Notifications
- Adjoining owners notified if required, newspaper notice if required.
- External referrals, e.g. Department of Primary Industries, Roads and Maritime Services.
- Internal referrals, e.g. engineering, environmental health.
- Submissions from public and internal/external referrals received.
- Site inspection, planning assessment.
- Liaison with applicant if required.
- Decision by Council officer under delegation, or by Councillors at a formal meeting, in which case you may address the meeting if you wish.
- Formal notices to applicant and people who make submissions.
- Construction certificate before work commences, issued either by Council or private certifier.
- Inspections during construction.
- Final inspection, all conditions satisfied.
- Occupation certificate issued.