In addition to obtaining development consent a proposal will often require other approvals to be obtained for ancillary works such as connection to Council's water supply or sewer system. Section 68 of the Local Government Act sets out a range of activities that require additional Council approval separate to the development application. These are listed as follows:
Water supply, sewerage and stormwater drainage work
- Carrying out water supply work.
- Drawing water from a council water supply or a standpipe or selling water so drawn.
- Installing, altering, disconnecting or removing a meter connected to a service pipe.
- Carrying out sewerage work.
- Carrying out stormwater drainage work.
- Connecting a private drain or sewer with a public drain or sewer under the control of a council or with a drain or sewer which connects with such a public drain or sewer.
More information is available for plumbers here.
Management of waste
- For fee or reward, transporting waste over or under a public place.
- Placing waste in a public place.
- Placing a waste storage container in a public place.
- Disposing of waste into a sewer of the council.
- Installing, constructing or altering a waste treatment device or a human waste storage facility or a drain connected to any such device or facility.
More information on on-site sewer management systems can be found here.
- Operating a public car park.
- Operating a caravan park or camping ground.
- Operating a manufactured home estate.
- Installing a domestic oil or solid fuel heating appliance, other than a portable appliance.
- Installing or operating amusement devices (within the meaning of the Construction Safety Act 1912).
- Installing or operating amusement devices prescribed by the regulations under the Local Government Act 1993 in premises.
- Operating an undertaker's business.
- Operating a mortuary.
- Carrying out an activity prescribed by the regulations under the Local Government Act 1993 or an activity of a class or description so prescribed.
If you think you might require approval for an activity under Section 68 please call us on 02 6648 4000.