Preparing your Development Application

A community unlike any other

Explore inspiring articles, discover events, connect with locals and learn more about Coffs Harbour City Council.


Online DAs only from January 1

The NSW Government has mandated that all Development Applications lodged with us must be through the NSW Online Planning Portal from 1 January 2021 ...

Read more
Swim Between The Flags

Swim Between The Flags

Stay safe at the beach this summer by swimming between the red and yellow flags at patrolled beaches...

Read more
Disaster Dashboard

Local Emergencies Disaster Dashboard

Council has a Disaster Dashboard to help you prepare for, cope and recover from any local emergency...

Read more
View all news

Latest News

Children posing with Bale Out sign

Bale Out: Live Large and Local

From April to June the region is hosting a series of 7 local pop-up events in Ulong, Coramba, Nana Glen, Red Rock and Toormina, bookended by two big celebrations in Coffs Harbour...

Read more
Home exterior

Free Advice on Solar and Energy

Coffs Harbour City Council is partnering with the Australian Energy Foundation to give residents free advice and the ability to purchase solar and battery storage systems from vetted suppliers. ..

Read more
David Holmgren sustainability educator

Permaculture Legend Coming to Coffs

David Holmgren,one of Australia's top sustainable living educators is bringing his "Aussie Street" event to Coffs on 10 May to inspire you to lower environmental impacts in suburban landscapes...

Read more
Visit Coffs Newsroom

Preparing your Development Application

Planning a development in the Coffs Harbour City Council Local Government Area? We have a range of tools and resources that can help you investigate your proposed development. For information about the statutory framework relating to development, please see the development framework page.

For information relating to planning controls that apply to development in the Coffs Harbour Local Government Area, please see the Planning Controls and Guidelines page.

Coffs Harbour City Council offers public access to interactive maps of the Coffs Harbour Local Government Area. The mapping tool provides information about land-based constraints, services and planning controls, including zoning.

​Council offers two pre-lodgement services, being Duty Officer and Pre-DA lodgement Meeting to assist with development enquiries and the preparation of development applications.

Duty Officer:

A Duty Officer is available each day from 8:30am to 1pm to answer general enquiries regarding the planning process, development proposals and the construction phase. The Duty Officer can be contacted on 6648 4000. If you wish to discuss your enquiry in person, the Duty Officer is available without appointment until 1pm. The Duty Officer is located at Council’s main administration building at the Corner of Coff and Castle Streets, Coffs Harbour.

The Duty Officer is not able to provide detailed planning, development or construction advice. If you require detailed advice in relation to these matters, it is recommended that you engage the services of a town planning and/or building consultant.

Pre- DA lodgement Meeting:

Council’s Pre-DA Lodgement Meeting was set up to provide preliminary feedback on complex development proposals and to facilitate the preparation of development applications. These meetings are available to customers who are intending to lodge a Development Application. You can find out more information about Pre-DA Lodgement meetings and how to book one here.

Section 50 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000 specifies how a development application must be made. Schedule 1 to this section lists the information that an applicant must submit with their application before it can be accepted by Council.

Small residential development:

For assistance with preparing development applications for the following development, please refer to the NSW Government’s guide to the development application process:

  • New houses
  • Alterations and additions to houses
  • Secondary dwellings i.e. granny flats
  • Dual occupancies

For a quick guide to what documentation you are required to submit with your development application for the above developments, please see the application requirements tool.

Other types of development

For assistance with preparing development applications for all other applications, please click here.

Development applications must be accompanied by the relevant fees at the time of lodgement. The relevant fees are set out in Council’s adopted Fees and Charges.

Council is also required to collect the Planning Reform Fee on behalf of the NSW Government.

Planning Reform Fee:

Councils collect the Planning Reform Fee (plan FIRST) on behalf of the NSW Government for building works or subdivisions that are estimated to have a value greater than $50,000. The fee is calculated as a percentage of the estimated development cost and is payable upon lodgement of a Development Application (DA). 

The State Government uses these fees to fund reforms to the NSW planning system. Council collects these fees on behalf of the State in accordance with Clause 256L of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000. Clause 256L outlines the matters that are covered by the fee. 

For further information regarding this fee, please contact the NSW Department of Planning, Infrastructure and Environment.

Can I get a quote for application fees?

To assist with application lodgement Council can provide a quote of fees payable for a development application. To request a quote of fees please fill out and submit Council’s online quote request form.

Quotes provided by Council cover application fees only. Other personal costs typically incurred by an applicant in the process of preparing information and implementing an approved development are not covered in this quote. 

The NSW planning system can be difficult to navigate and to ensure the efficient processing of applications it is important that applications received by Council are properly prepared and meet the legislative requirements.

To assist with this it is recommended that you seek the professional assistance of a town planning consultant to prepare applications for all developments other than small residential development, being new houses, alterations and additions to houses and secondary dwellings (granny flats). For assistance with preparing applications for small residential development please refer to the NSW Government's guide to the development application process.