Scope of the Integrated Transport Strategy
Council commenced the preparation of its Integrated Transport Strategy in July 2018. This will provide a broad strategic position on a variety of transport and land use issues for our growing regional city, which will build on the MyCoffs vision of 'connected sustainable thriving'.
Major themes earmarked for consideration are:
- population and employment growth;
- alignment of transport corridors;
- trends in transport options and moving towards increased walking and cycling possibilities;
- future capacity of the existing transport network;
- how we adopt new technologies and trends in transport;
- streets that are made for people and not just cars;
- a future cycling network; and
- a parking policy.
The project will take two years to complete. Step One involves establishing a clear vision of the city we are trying to create, via a PlaceScore project. Next will come a body of work to design a desired place and movement network for the whole of the Local Government Area.
Moving Towards a Prosperous Regional City
Steven Burgess of MRCagney is one of Australia's leading contributors to urban street design and the planning, design and development of livable places. Steven attended Coffs Harbour in April 2017 and gave a presentation on vehicle movement principles relating to prosperous, walkable regional cities.
Council is using some of these principles in its design of future places around the LGA.