If you live in an area of the Coffs Harbour LGA not serviced by Council’s sewer system then more than likely you will need or be operating an existing on-site sewage management system. The following information has been provided detailing the regulatory requirements of operating an OSSM, the application process for installing or modifying an OSSM, and Council’s role in monitoring the ongoing performance of these systems.
If your planned work includes sanitary plumbing and drainage you can find more information on the Plumbing and Drainage page.
The process for this application
Before Work Starts
Complete the Application to Install or Amend an On-Site Sewage Management System and provide a Waste Water Report if required (see table above). A Waste Water Report is created by a consultant of your choice.
After Approval to Install is Issued
- Council will send the approval to install to the applicant. This will include a Compliance Certificate – OSSM form which should be forwarded to your plumber of choice.
- Once you receive your approval you can begin work
- Book your inspection. Inspection booking requests must be submitted to Council by no later than 4.30pm the day prior to an inspection being carried out by calling 02 6648 4000. Inspections will generally be accepted as either an AM booking (10.30am to 12.30pm) or a PM booking (1.30PM to 3.30PM) with inspections undertaken Monday to Friday.
- Council will carry out an inspection
Before Approval to Operate is Issued
- On completion of work you must submit your completed Compliance Certificate – OSSM form.
- Approval to operate is issued
Learn more about on-site sewage management systems (OSSMs).