The Green Schools Environmental Sustainability program aims to raise environmental
awareness amongst students and teachers at pre-schools and child care centres,
as well as primary and high schools in the Coffs Harbour Local Government Area.
The program includes Council-funded grants, Sustainable Schools Network and
CLOSED - Applications for the 2015-2016 grants program are now closed
The annual grants program provide financial and in-kind support to Coffs Harbour schools, pre-schools and childcare centres to undertake actions that result in improvement in biodiversity, water use, water quality, energy use and resources and waste minimisation.
This project meets a number of critical environmental needs in our LGA such as:
- Protecting the biodiversity of Coffs Harbour
- Reducing water consumption
- Reducing stormwater pollution, thus protecting our waterways and beaches
- Mitigating against climate change by reducing energy consumption
- Reducing waste to landfill by increasing recycling and composting.
This project provides added value by building the capacity of the community through, students, teachers, parents and school committees such as Parents and Friends, Parents and Citizens, and School Environment committees.
Download the Funding Guidelines
Download the Final Evaluation Report in PDF or MS word.
There are many other grant opportunities and resources available for
schools to consider, for more information visit Sustainable Schools NSW, Little Green Steps and Sustainability Resources to learn more about Environmental Sustainability and Education for Sustainability for your facilities.
If you have any questions about the grants please contact Council's Sustainability Officer, Nicole Larkin on 6648 4643 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Sustainable Schools Network
The Coffs Harbour Sustainable Schools Network (SSN) is a forum facilitated by Coffs Harbour City Council for teachers and parents to meet and discuss environmental sustainability ideas, projects and opportunities for their schools and school communities. The network's Primary and High school stream currently meets each term, while the network's Early Childhood Education stream currently meets on a needs basis.
The SSN provides a space to:
· Share ideas, inspiration and resources on making our local schools more sustainable
· Share knowledge about environmental and sustainability issues and programs across local school communities
· Provide professional and skills development
· Opportunities for teachers and parents on sustainability and environmental issues
· Streamline communications for Council to schools
· Find out about workshops, events, training and grant opportunities
· Communicate with Council on training needs, grant requirements or other relevant requests.
Download a copy of the Sustainable Schools Factsheet here and/or copies of meeting minutes below:
A quarterly e-newsletter is currently being developed. The e-newsletter will include any upcoming network meetings, event dates; highlight school and centre good news stories; provide information on Council, Government and non-government programs and training; detail funding and grant opportunities; and provide general information on relevant sustainability issues such as composting and waste minimisation. For more information or to register your interest, contact email@example.com
Coffs Harbour City Council
Phone: 6648 4643