The Green Schools Environmental Sustainability program aims to raise environmental
awareness amongst students and teachers at pre-schools and child care centres,
as well as primary and high schools in the Coffs Harbour Local Government Area.
The program includes Council-funded grants and Sustainable Schools Network.
Applications for the 2016-2017 Green Schools Environmental Sustainability Grants grant program are now closed!
Closing Date: Friday, 25 November 2016
Expected opening date of new grant round: September 2017
The annual grants program provide financial and in-kind support to Coffs Harbour schools, pre-schools and childcare centres to undertake actions that result in improvement in biodiversity, water use, water quality, energy use and resources and waste minimisation.
This project meets a number of critical environmental needs in our LGA such as:
- Protecting the biodiversity of Coffs Harbour
- Reducing water consumption
- Reducing stormwater pollution, thus protecting our waterways and beaches
- Mitigating against climate change by reducing energy consumption
- Reducing waste to landfill by increasing recycling and composting.
This project provides added value by building the capacity of the community through, students, teachers, parents and school committees such as Parents and Friends, Parents and Citizens, and School Environment committees.
This year we received 27 quality applications amounting to almost $44,000 in funding requested - more than double the total grant funding available in this very competitive round. The grant panel assessed all applications against the selection criteria and rated applications in order, with funding awarded to highest scoring projects until the $20,000 grant funds were exhausted.
Download the Funding Guidelines
There are many other grant opportunities and resources available for
schools to consider, for more information visit Sustainable Schools NSW, Little Green Steps and Sustainability Resources to learn more about Environmental Sustainability and Education for Sustainability for your facilities.
If you have any questions about the grants please contact Council's Sustainable Living Programs Officer on 6648 4643.
Sustainable Schools Network
The Coffs Harbour Sustainable Schools Network (SSN) is a forum facilitated by Coffs Harbour City Council for teachers and parents to meet and discuss environmental sustainability ideas, projects and opportunities for their schools and school communities. Meetings are currently held each term with a different school or centre hosting each time.
The SSN provides a space to:
· Share ideas, inspiration and resources on making our local schools more sustainable
· Share knowledge about environmental and sustainability issues and programs across local school communities
· Provide professional and skills development - including guest speakers and useful resources
· Opportunities for teachers and parents on sustainability and environmental issues
· Streamline communications from Council to schools
· Find out about workshops, events, training and grant opportunities
· Communicate with Council on training needs, grant requirements or other relevant requests.
Download a copy of the Sustainable Schools Factsheet here.
Download a copy of the Sustainable Schools 2017 Calendar here.
For more information, to provide feedback or register your interest, contact Council's Sustainable Living Programs Officer on 02 6648 4643.
Sustainable Living Programs Officer
Coffs Harbour City Council
Phone: 6648 4643