Council introduced the Environmental Levy as a means of undertaking environmental management works. The levy has been well accepted by the community and currently raises around $1 million per annum for local environmental works at an average cost of $34 per rate payer.
Applications have now closed for the 2013-2014 for Environmental Levy funding.
This year a wide range of projects benefited from the funding. They included:
- Jetty Dunecare Group for weeds eradication on the Jetty Foreshores.
- Orara River Restoration Project for weed eradication, erosion control and revegetation of the river system.
- Control of the Indian Myna bird pest.
- The Solitary Islands Coastal Walk project, which will provide a series of linked headland walkways and access stairs that will take walkers all the way from Sawtell to Arrawarra.
- Hogbin Drive Koala fencing.
- Bushland regeneration.
- Continuation of the Coffs Ambassadors Volunteer Interpretive Tours which give volunteers the opportunity to run tours of sites of interest in the area for residents and visitors.