Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

Street Lighting

How Can I Get Street Lighting Outside My House?

Requests for streetlights must be made by filling in the Street Lighting Application Form.

When a request is received, the area will be inspected, and the position of existing lights and power poles, and the types of power lines noted.

Generally, lights can only be installed on existing poles, where suitable low voltage powers supply is available. Many poles carry only high voltage lines.

An assessment will then be made as to what is required to bring lighting as close to the Standard, (see below) as practicable.

Lights are installed or altered by Essential Energy, at Council’s request. In most cases, requests for individual lights are held and submitted together once a year on a priority basis. The work is carried out by Essential Energy Accredited Service Providers and is subject to their work priorities.

What Lights Should My Street Have?

Lighting is designed with reference to an Australian Standard, which sets out requirements for different classes of roads.

The Standard is used to calculate the distance between lights. The distance varies, depending on the classification of the road and the height and type of light.*

Strict compliance with the calculated spacings usually requires new poles, at great cost. This can only be justified on major traffic routes, where higher lighting standards apply.

In most local roads with overhead power lines, the accepted practice is to place a light on every second power pole. This provides a reasonable standard of lighting at significantly less cost.

* New installations use 50-Watt high-pressure sodium (HPS) lamps on local roads, and higher wattage sodium lamps on major traffic routes.

What Does It Cost?

Council pays installation and running costs for street lighting, and makes no direct charge to residents.

As of 2012 there are about 4200 streetlights in the Coffs Harbour LGA. These cost Council around $45,000 per month to run.

Electricity used by streetlights is not metered - the bill is calculated from average use. This means Council has to pay for lights that are not working.

Lights that do not work should be reported directly to Essential Energy using these forms or by calling on 13 20 80. You need to tell the operator what is wrong with the light and the nearest street address.

Alteration to Existing Lights

Council and Essential Energy no longer fix shields to existing streetlights to prevent the spill of light. This is an outdated practice and does not conform to Australian Standards.

An "aeroscreen" fitting can be installed to help reduce the spill of light at a cost to the person requesting.

For Your Security

Streetlights are designed to light the street rather than nearby properties, and are not the best way to improve security of private property.

A licensed electrician can advise you about security lights. These can be set to turn on if anyone approaches your house. Do-it-yourself plug-in security lights are also available. Commercial premises should ask Essential Energy about a "Night Vision" light, which may be installed on a nearby power pole with no up-front cost, however it will incur a monthly charge.

Finding Out More

Requests for street lighting should be made in writing to the address below. Inquiries can be made by calling Council on 6648 4000.

Coffs Harbour City Council
Locked Bag 155
Coffs Harbour NSW 2450
Telephone: (02) 66484000
Facsimile: (02) 66484199