What businesses need to register with Council?
If you are undertaking hairdressing, beauty therapy or skin penetration you need to register your business with Council.Hairdressers/Beauty Salon/Skin Penetration Registration Form What is a skin penetration business?
Any business that is undertaking the following procedures:
- body, nose and ear piercing,
- colonic lavage,
- tattooing & cosmetic tattooing,
- waxing & hair removal,
- blood cholesterol and glucose measurement; and
- any procedure that involves penetrating the skin.
What do I need to do if I am setting up a new business?
- Contact Council's Land Use Assessment Branch to determine whether a development application is required
- Contact Councils Health Branch for any questions relating to construction and fit out and to organise an inspection prior to opening
- Register your business prior to operating
What do I do if I want to set up a home salon?
Home salons must comply with the above requirements (setting up a new business) and also comply with the Coffs Harbour Local Environmental Plan definitions of Home Occupation.
What construction standards do I need to comply with?
The construction and fit out of a hairdessing, barber or beauty salon is regulated under the Local Government Act 1993. Please refer to Constructions Standards Document
Premises conducting Skin Penetration procedures must also comply with the requirements under the Public Health Regulation 2012 .
Policy and guidelines
For legislation and guidelines related to hairdressing, beauty therapy and skin penetration procedures please refer to the NSW Health Website