The people of Coffs Harbour identified that wellbeing and fostering a sense of community, belonging and diversity were important to us and included it in the Community Strategic Plan.
Council seeks to ensure people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds have access to Council services and programmes, can participate in Council's planning processes and is a welcome place for migrants, refugees and international students.
As an organisation we seek to do this in a number of ways:
- Coffs Harbour City Council was declared a "Refugee Welcome Zone" in 2008.
- Council hosts an annual Harmony Festival to coincide with National Harmony Day.
- The appointment of the Multicultural Advisory Committee to raise the profile of multiculturalism in the community and secondly be a point of reference for Council on multicultural issues.
- Organising Refugee Week activities to acknowledge the contribution of refugees and acknowledge the area's settlement status.
- Supporting local multicultural communities, services, projects and initiatives.
Multicultural NSW has developed a Settlement Portal to help connect migrants with the information they need to successfully settle in NSW.
Council also manages the Coffs Coast Cross-Cultural Community on Facebook.